Friday, July 13, 2007

Some random thoughts.....

It's the end of the week and I thought it seemed like the right time to put some thoughts down on paper (21st century style).

I worry about my friends. Not so much worry, but concerned that they are OK, and that they will still be a friend if they find out what an absolute moron I am.

I think Jim Martin is the smartest man I have ever encountered who still reads comics and does not seemed fazed or jaded by what the general opinion is of the great unwashed who still view comic fans as nerds. He wears his badge of honor proudly and makes me want to do so as well.

I understand the hype of the Harry Potter book that is coming out next week. I also think it is going to be the Super Bowl of literature. That is, months of build-up, massive hype as the event draws near, and the actual thing is a colossal let down. Considering I will be living with one of those who could become massively disappointed, I am bracing for the worst.

A couple of political thoughts....It becomes more clear to me the older I get that we as a nation still just don't get it. We get all excited and jump up and down when something is screwed up in politics (like the war) and wonder how we got here. I never really was naive about our system, but lately it seems that the common man has no voice in national politics. We are drowned out by special interests and big business. Instead of having hearings on how we got into this mess, both overseas and here, congressmen posture about having hearings about baseball and wrestlers on steroids. Like it was suddenly happening.

Speaking of wrestlers (and yes I have been a fan), I found it fascinating to sit and watch the Internet basically eat their young over the Chris Benoit story. They published glowing eulogies the night he was found dead, and turned on him so fast you would have gotten whiplash if your computer was a car. Now, I am in agreement that what happened was a horrendous crime and that we may never really know what happened that weekend. And the death, any death of a child, is tragic. But these morons, these asshats who thought they knew a performer really demonstrate the problems of the Internet and fans in general. I love the actors from "Heroes" but if I met them I wouldn't expect them to act like their character. Wrestling is the same thing. People expect them to be like that all the time.

OK that's enough for the moment. I will put some thoughts down on the state of comics and give you a taste of what I read later on in the weekend. Take it easy and stay cool, wherever you are!

5 comments:

Jim said...

I’m humbled by your generous compliment. Not sure if I deserve it, thanks.

Anonymous said...

Oh great Ron. Now you've done it!!! Jim is going to be insufferable.... well more insufferable than usual because of your comments.

Thanks alot.

Anonymous said...

AND... Does the significant other know you have a man crush on Jim???

Is she jealous??

Jim said...

Lee - LOL. Me insufferable, never.

Ron said...

Actually she know of Jim since I have been to his house a few times, and she likes him. Keeps me off of her. LOL