Tuesday, July 10, 2007

A little peek behind the curtain....

Well, I think it's time to give a little look into who I am. If you one of the few who have read my blog on the MySpace page, you probably know by now. I am an avid comics reader. I enjoy and escape into comics as a refuge from what has been a really tough patch of things. Now, I am also a realist and know that the time spent reading these books is fleeting at best. So, time to let you know what kind of comics reader I am. Oh, you didn't know there are categories to that? Well, let me clue you in.

First off, you have the guys who any and everything. These guys are really nice guys at times and generally are not snobs about what you do or do not read. They have an opinion on most of the books and tend to look at things philosophically. Jim and Shawn, I'm looking in your direction.

Then you have the fanboys. These guys read books from either a particular company (DC,Marvel, Image, etc.) and are rabid in their love of them. So much so that they tend to be difficult in praise of other companies and in criticizing of their favorite. These guys are becoming a dying breed, but if you stand in a comic store long enough, they appear. Pretend you're on safari and it will be fun!

Next is the Indy readers. These people (generally teenagers and college age kids) think that superheroes suck and read books from smaller presses (Oni, Dark Horse, Boom Studios, etc.) that tend to have a more diverse cross-section of things to read. Now, these guys are OK, but they tend to have a snobbish view of the big companies. What they fail to realize is that if the big companies didn't sell the way they do, and bring people into the stores to read the books, the smaller companies may not have as big an avenue to distribute their wares.

Finally, you have me. What do I read? Well, I guess that I am a fanboy, but of comics in general. I have read the biggies (Batman, Spider-man, X-men, etc.) for years and will not change. But I have also grown to love the smaller, not as high profile books. I am a HUGE fan of PvP, both online and in comic form. If you have ever listened to the show on Cosmic Comix's website (I'll post the address later), you know that I am a major fan of the book.

There you go. Whew, quite a post! I hope that others will be shorter in length. Later!

2 comments:

Jim said...

Ron - I accept your portrayal of Shawn and myself, but disagree with your self portrait. You are a fan of comics, but not a fanboy. You admire when a comic shows joy and hope and notice when a Robin issue goes beyond just being a comic. You see the humor and good side of things.

PS - Good luck on making your posts shorter. Once you start typing and get a thought process rolling it is hard to stop.

Anonymous said...

I guess that makes me a "7-year old" comic fan, meaning I'm primarily into what I was reading when I first started getting comics in 1977. Star Wars isn't the only one having a 30th anniversary this year!!!

Now, I have two Blogs to look at everyday...Thanks for the tip Jim. Good to read your stuff, Ron.

Maybe I need my own too? Of course, I barely have time to even read the few comics I get. I'm trying to decide which Omnibus to take out to Kansas next week. I will be taking a certain free book I got recently though. :)