Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Harry Potter, a movie review.....

It's 3 in the morning and I've just come from the midnight showing of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. First off, the crowd was so into the movie, clapping and laughing and cheering at the right spots, it made it a blast to be there. I wish that comic movies would get a midnight premier so the fans can get into it that much more. I think it makes for a more enjoyable experience to be around people who get the jokes and things, as opposed to those who are only there because it's the new movie of the week.



The good- Man, just about everything. I have seen everyone of these bad boys (my wife is a self-described Potterhead) and this was the best going away. The 2 1/2 hours (!) flew by and I never felt a need to check my watch or think about heading out. The actors have taken to their roles and have fleshed out the characters so much that you really felt worried, or happy for them. The fight sequence near the end was one of the coolest battles I have ever seen. To finally see magic used in a massive battle was a great achievement and the actors never gave you the sense they were acting against a green screen or anything to that effect.



The bad- Not really much, but little things. Like I had no idea who "Padfoot" was until towards the end. They really could have taken a minute to explain that. But other than that, difficult to pick this to shreds.



So there you go. I give this 3 and a half stars. I would even recommend this to parents. It's not as scary as Spider-man 3 (in spots) and provides a thrilling end that makes the next movie a tough one to live up to. Laters!

2 comments:

Jim said...

I'm sure I'll be seeing this really soon, glad to here it was enjoyable. This has been a good movie series and I doon't read the books, but brought along by my wife who does.

My daughter in Tampa is a huge fan and probably saw the movie last night.

Ron said...

The Potter fans that were at this screening reminded me of how Star Wars fans were during the original trilogy. Enjoy the move, my friend!