Sunday, October 28, 2007

Mutt's Reviews

Well, I threatened to do this, and I make good on my promises. I am doing this a little differently than some others. I go by company and I will try to be brief as possible, so bear with me.



DC COMICS-
Action 857- 3rd part of the "Bizzaro World" arc. The cover alone is almost worth the price. Eric Powell (The Goon) did a real nice job giving it a silver age feel. Geoff Johns continues to show his grasp of heroes and the history to them.
Countdown 27- I'm sure that Jim like this simply for featuring Detective Chimp in it. The big shock was given away on the cover, so they lose some points for that. The first hint of where they are taking the villains to in the DCU, setting up the "Salvation Run" mini coming up.
Flash 233- Wally takes down the monsters with an assist from the Justice League, who then confront him about his kids. Love the line from Wally to Batman about putting kids in harm's way. "I'm getting lectured on child safety from a man who's gone through 4 Robins?" Priceless. Waid continues to show his mastery of Wally' world. I only wish he was staying on it longer.
Green Arrow Year One 6- The wrap-up of the arc. Andy Diggle did a real nice job taking the story of Ollie's beginnings and re-imagining it without straying too far from the mythos. Other than that, sort of a blah ending.
Robin 167- A "one and done" by Brandon Thomas. A nice story told by Tim in a dialogue to his dead father. This has been done a few times with Batman as the narrator, but this had a nice touch to it. The bad news is that Freddie Williams, the artist who has done a phenomenal job, is moving over to Teen Titans.
Superman 669- The 3rd Kryptonian is revealed. So much back story in this issue, its difficult to capture. Not a big fan of Rick Leonardi's art, I think he's done better. I am wondering what the deal is with the push behind Kandor.
Teen Titans 52- 2nd part of the "Titans of Tomorrow" arc. The story got a little convoluted toward the end, but still lots of action and battles galore.


Marvel Comics-
Daredevil 101- Second part of "Without Fear" arc. Not really much here. Some nice tender moments between Matt and Milla. Basically just DD tearing up Hell's Kitchen looking for Mr. Fear.
Thunderbolts 117- "Caged Angels" part 2. Warren Ellis has really taken this group and made it a great, consistent read. This issue had an interview between Doc Samson and Penance about who he really is. Also, it seems a group of bad guys (?) wanted to get caught so they can destroy the T-Bolts. Also, there is the ongoing mental battle for Norman Osborn's soul with a nice twist this issue. Can't wait to see who is behind it.
Ultimate Spider-Man 115- If you've listened to the show, or if you've read any of the other "ultimate" books, you know that this is the top dog. Peter is in the custody of SHIELD. Kitty tries to break him out while Osborn goes on a rampage to find his money. They get drafted into SHIELD and the battle is on. The banter between Peter and Osborn is vintage Spidey. It reminded me of all those battles and the snappy banter that was part and parcel of Spider-Man.
Wolverine Origins 18- For the life of me, I have no idea why I am reading this book. I enjoyed Daniel Way's run on Wolverine, but this has just been crap. To waste a great talent like Steve Dillon on this drek is a crime that Marvel should have to answer for. Put him back on Punisher, for God's sake!

Others-
PVP 35- I have pimped this book to the moon, so I won't bore you with a breakdown of the issue. But if you love comics, and you consider yourself a nerd or a geek, pick this book up. It will make you smile. You will find either someone in there who you recognize, or a situation that will look familiar. Scott Kurtz is coming up on his 10th year doing these characters, and deserves alot of credit for sticking with it through good times and bad in the industry.

There you have it. Sorry if it ran long, I tend to have a blabbermouth. I promise that I will work on shorting these up in the future.

2 comments:

Shawn said...

I love me some ULT SPIDEY now.

KITTY PRYDE is teh awesome.

Jim said...

It was not too long at all. I don't beleive Waid is leaving the Flash at all. Last I read he was hanging out on Flash and Brave and Bold for awhile.

I dropped Wolverine Origins. Way got too into every littel detail and bored the crap out of me. Dillon is not a super hero artist.

Good column!