Friday, October 19, 2007

Smallville

Promised I would be more active. So here are some thoughts and musings about Smallville.



*WARNING* Possible minor spoilers ahead. So if you Tivo the show and are waiting to watch in one sitting, turn back now.





SMALLVILLE has gotten off to a decent start. While I wanted the Bizzarro Clark to stick around for a few more episodes, they handled it much better than the Zod/Lex ending a season or so ago. Lois is still smoking hot and Chloe is still a much better fit for Clark than that doe-eyed loser Lana. I admit that I approached the season with some trepidation after hearing they are introducing Supergirl (Kara) into the show. So far, it's been...OK. Not great, but fine. I initially worried that they were going to make her some slave to Luthor (and who remembers that god awful storyline with the bearded Luthor posing as his son? *shudders*) but at this point they have sent her off to find her lost ship. But they let fall a major plot point that, I think, will play a factor in the ending of the season. Clark had been getting help from the Martian Manhunter, who said that he worked with his father on Krypton. When he and Kara met, some real serious sparks flew, intimating that one, if not both are whom they seem to be.

The addition of Dean Cain has shown the creative team still continues to tip the hat to those who have come before Tom Welling. He played a villain (Vandal Savage?) in the recent episode. I somehow get the feeling that if Chris Reeve or George Reeves (the original TV Superman) were alive today, they would have some part to play. Of course, Chris Reeve did have a part, but it would have been fun to see where they would have gone with his character.

I have hopes for this season, as I do for any show that I enjoy. I hope that they bring back Green Arrow and some of the other heroes. I hope they will get around to what happened to Lionel Luthor, since I am a huge fan of John Glover. Most importantly, I hope that this show stays true to the mythos that is Clark Kent and SMALLVILLE. Yes, its been different and not a totally faithful adaptation, but if it's done right, the changes make the show better. I hope to have a posting after HEROES Monday night. Have a good weekend all!

4 comments:

Jim said...

I don't do Smallville, maybe one day.

WOW TWO POST WITHIN A WEEK - ACTUALLT THE SAME DAY - Is it snowing?

Ron said...

in Hell, probably.

Jim said...

Great - I was worried it would be too hot when I got there.

Shawn said...

It has been alright. I really, really liked Dean Cain. He was awesome as the villain. And yes, it was Savage, though they never call him that.

Martian Manhunter is a great addition to the cast, and Supergirl is nice to look at.

I will continue to hope it gets better like last season. We'll see.