Friday, March 14, 2008

Out of the loop

Hey there everyone. You'll have to forgive me if this seems sort of incoherent, but it's 4 am, and your boy here is tired.

Why, you may ask is this dazzling young urbanite doing at the keyboard instead of sleeping? Don't worry, I'll fall back soon enough. But before I go, I wanted you all to know where I've been since Sunday.

four words:

Howard County General Hospital.

Late Sunday night, my wife, the love of my life, my reason for my existence, had a major medical issue. I will not go into details, because; 1) it's really disturbing, and 2) it's fucking (sorry my inner filter is gone) private. Just suffice to say that we were in the ER from 3:30 Sunday night until 8 Monday night, when they had to perform and operation on her. It was on an unrelated matter, but they found fluid around her heart. A lot of it. They drained almost a pint of it from her. The other thing, the thing that we went for, has since corrected itself, thank the good Lord above. But she has been in an ICU unit for the last 4 days. They have since moved her to another location but there is still some things to be rectified. I have been by her side every waking (and some not so waking) moment of the day. I thank the stars that we don't live a long way from the hospital, because there would be a better than average chance that I would have fallen asleep at the wheel and wrapped my car around a tree.
You may be asking yourself at the moment; "dude, if you're just sitting there, how tiring can it be?" Tell you what. You go have a loved one have something go wrong, put them in peril, hooked up to more tubes and wires than the damn Terminator, and see how you do. Then be there every time he or she wakes up to assure then that they're OK, that things are getting better. Do that for 10 to 12 hours a day for 5 days, neglect just about everything else in your life (eating, sleeping, keeping a house in order) and see how draining you find it. Overdramatic? Maybe. But it's how I'm wired. My wife and family come first at the expense of everything, including me. My friends are right there below that, but I will get some sleep before I do anything with you guys.

OK, I'm rambling now. Anyway, that's where I've been. The worst is over but there is still a bit of recovery for her, so that's why you won't see me here for a few more days, possibly a week. When I get her home, she and I are going to crawl into bed together and fall asleep in each others arms for a few days.

You all be good, OK? =)

6 comments:

Jim said...

Ron, my thoughts and well wishes are with you. I hope you wife is home soon. If I can do anything let me know.

Jim

Shawn said...

Ron,

My family and I will keep you both in our prayers and if there is anything you need from a truly MASTER OF THE NEW WEIRD such as myself, don't you dare hesitate. You better ask. I'll bring the calvalry and we'll smack the universe around some.

I love you bud.

-Shawn

Matthew said...

Ron,

Pam and I will be praying for you and your wife. I live close to the hospital, would you like me to stop by sometime (name/room number)?

Matthew

Gwen said...

Ron,

I hope your wife is better very soon. I can't say I know how it feels from your end of it, but I can relate a bit to her side. When I had a medical situation throw me in the hospital my boyfriend stayed with me almost the entire time I was there. I don't know how I would have gotten through it without having him there. So it's wonderful that your wife has someone like you to help her through this. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Ron-

I don't live close enough to provide local support but you'll be in our prayers. We all hope your wife gets better soon!

Lee

Anonymous said...

Ron,
Good thoughts and well wishes to you and your wife. Hope everything goes well and that y'all are home soon.
James