Friday, March 13, 2009

Some Random (or Randumb) Thoughts

Thought I would throw some things at the internet and see what sticks.

-Saw WATCHMEN last night, finally. I had read some of the reviews and thought Shawn was closest to the mark. I liked it, but found myself feeling "meh" after it was over. Maybe it was because I was in a small theater with sound for a larger theater that at times pinned my head to the back wall. Couldn't get out fast enough. My wife, who never read the book, enjoyed it and thought that Rorschach and Dr. Manhattan were excellently done. I agree, and thought that at times it was a spectacularly done thing. But something I haven't seen a lot of; the fascination that Snyder has with slo-mo. Man that was totally overdone at times and seemed to almost stop the movie for me. Will be interested in seeing the director's cut when it's released on DVD.

-on the comics front, I found that my choices of books has been dwindling down without really noticing it. I stopped reading Spider-Man, Punisher, Titans (old not Teen) and the Hulk books. It hit me the other day that these were my entrance back into reading way back in the early '90s, but they have lost me. I have picked up Spawn again (sorry Shawn, I'm an addict) and have been enjoying that. I am giving Iron Man a chance again. I have kept my mainstays in the DCU, Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Flash but they are being changed again. Other than the GL event due in the summer, what is happening in these other books has me sort of apprehensive about my continued patronage. Buffy is still a good read and I like where things are starting to go there. It really does feel like the series. They will get off the main story arc from time to time, but those detours are interesting and add to the color of the characters.

-on the WoW front, I finally hit 80 with my char. Now I look forward to doing some of the other ancillary things that make that game so freaking addictive. Like killing and maiming. Those are always fun.

See ya! =)

1 comment:

Shawn said...

Both GL books have been doing well and I've enjoyed them very much. Invincible is still worth it month in and out. Superman's lost me even with James Robinson until he comes back to earth. I'm just not interested. The Batman books are on the bubble though Morrison and Quitley's stint will no doubt change my mind.

SMALLVILLE has been excellent this year.

THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY is giving us some of the freshest takes on superheroes I've seen in years and they only do six issue mini-series once a year so it doesn't kill your wallet.

I'll forgive SPAWN given the new direction. I can do that for you.

WATCHMEN was good. But it was never going to be great. We need to collectively get over it and move on. lol

Miss ys bud.