Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Review time!

Hi there everyone. Hope you all survived the holiday weekend intact. I know I said I would do this over the weekend, but I got sidetracked (again). So here we go. I have 2 weeks worth of books to talk about. Not sure if this will become the pattern du jour or not.

DC
Action 859- 2nd part of the "Legion" arc. Turns out that in the future, they teach Superman's history differently then we know it. I like the twist that Geoff Johns has given this and that has me wanting to see more. Unfortunately, it will be with Gary Frank's art. I've liked Frank's art in the past, but this has him diving into Lu territory (see: Avengers). Lots of lines on the faces, almost like it wasn't cleaned up properly. He's earned a grace period from me, but not a long one.
All Star Superman 9- Now this is my vote for comic of the year. I don't care how many issues come out of a book, if it's well done, its a nominee. Grant Morrison bring Kryptonian astronauts to Earth and weaves a great story. Frank Quitely has done a great job with just about every hero he has tackled and does a phenomenal job with the art here. This is what most books should strive for; imagination and heroism on a grand scale.
Detective 838 and Nightwing 138- I lump these in together only because they are both part of the "Ra's al Ghul" crossover. Nightwing becomes involved in the arc by Batman asking for his help in protecting Robin and Damien (Bat's son) at the cave. The bad guys get away with the kids when Nightwing is forced to make a life and death decision. Robin is confronted by Ra's, who tempts him with an offer. Batman arrives and the battles commences. Ra's forces Bats to choose between his ward and his child. OK, this has been a pretty good crossover, but man, the artwork in Detective is REALLY bad, and takes you out of the story somewhat. The writers have handled this crossover about as well as can be expected. No major plot holes (so far) and the chapters flow from one to the next.
Flash 234- I wish that this team would continue on the book for a while. Mark Waid is a writer born to do Flash stories, and Freddie Williams gives the book a great look. As for the story, it turns out that Jai overheard the conversation last issue between Wally and the JLA. He may not have long to live, apparently and he's hiding the fact that he knows from his parents, something we can all identify with (hiding something from your parents). Wally develops a new power that allows him to get the kids and pull them to him. Not alot in plot movement here, but still a nice story, and you have to scroll down to "A Fitting Tribute" for my thoughts on whats in the back of the book.
World of Warcraft1- see post below. I think you guys should give it a try. It's not just for WoW fans, any fan of sword and sorcery type of things might like it.

Marvel-
Captain America 32- Most of the issue is the inner monologue of Sharon Carter as she struggles with the crap that the Red Skull and Dr. Faustus has done to her. Bucky fights his programming and tries to convince Sharon to get away. Unable to break free on her own, she throws Bucky out of a plane to distract the Falcon and Black Widow, who have discovered the hideout. I'm not sure if I liked this issue or not, since it bordered on Bendisitis. Not much action, lots of talking without saying much of anything. But Steve Epting's art keeps you focused so that if Ed Brubaker has an off issue, you still enjoy it.
New Avengers 36- I really don't have alot to say about this, except that you give us one of the hottest woman in the Marvel Universe (Spider-Woman) in the shower and actually find a way to make it unattractive? I call Shanangans!
Punisher 52- If the last page is for real (so to speak) this issue will go down as one of the most savage in Punisher history, and man is that saying something. I will not reveal it, since I am not sure who is reading this, and some people may have kids in the room or weak stomachs. But suffice to say that Barracuda performs an act so heinous, that if true, cements his place as one of the sickest, most twisted villains in comics today.
Thor 4- You know the saying; "the cheese stands alone"? Well, I guess that me. I have really liked what they have done with Thor. Putting him into real life situations to find his lost comrades is something I didn't expect and yes, you saw it coming a mile away, but it still didn't take away from the book, in my opinion. I have also enjoyed Oliver Coipel's art. He gives Thor a majestic presence that is required of the hero.
Wolverine 59- Wolvie battles to return to the earthly plane. Yawn. Fights a lot of versions of himself to get there, whoopie.
World War Hulk 5- The end of the big story line. Again "cheese" here. I am a fan of John Romita Junior's art and I understand the criticism that has been leveled at him over the past year. But this was really kinda cool. We finally get to see a couple of heroes at full power unleashed on each other. The Sentry was an unknown coming into the battle and he threw punches with the Hulk like Frasier/Ali. There has been speculation as to how they were going to end this, and I for one liked it. Hulk going down the only way he knows, fighting and destroying whatever is in front of him. I am not sure about the aftermath (won't give anything away here) and I am not crazy about taking the Hulk out of his own book. Marvel had the formula work once with Captain America, but don't look for lightning to strike twice.

OK that's it. Hope you liked this. If you did or didn't, please leave me a post. I really would like some input on things, and trust me, I read them all and will not ignore any.

4 comments:

Jim said...

I'm getting the sense in Flash that Waid has a family story to tell about Wally and the kids and then that maybe it. I'll have to re-read my Life of the Flash book for hints. Still it is a great book and Williams works great in this book. - Nice post!

Anonymous said...

All this praise for the Flash and you guys are making me a little sorry for skipping it and dropping it last week. I haven't really enjoyed the kids in the regular book but I really liked them in Brave and the Bold.

Is this all that you read Ron or just the ones you choose to talk about?

Ron said...

Matthew, this is just about everything I read for the last 2 weeks. My budget is really reduced right now. I did forget INVINCIBLE, which was great and COUNTDOWN. Thanks for the input! =)

Jim, I'm not sure about that myself. I also like the little back up story as well. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

My budget is really limited too. Here's my current pull list:

Marvel:

Amazing Spider-girl (2)
Avengers Classic
Captain America
Fantastic Four (drop after issue 553)
New Exiles

Marvel Adventures Avengers Digests

Fantastic Four: Lost Adventure (Feb 2008)

DC:

Booster Gold
Brave and the Bold
JLA Classified (#50-54) {John Byrne story}
Justice League Unlimited
Legion of Super-Heroes in the 31st Century

52 Aftermath: The Four Horseman
Death of the New Gods
Superman Annual #13

Independents:

Back Issue (magazine)
The Jack Kirby Collector (issue 50 will be the last one)

Owly 4
Oz/Wonderland Chronicles
Simpsons Super Spectacular
Star Trek: Year Four
Star Wars Photonovels (3 left)

As you can tell, I get a lot of stuff my kids can read (one day). I'll still probably pick up the odd title here and there, but I'm trying to save for Omnibuses and action figures. I also get sick of buying a monthly and then getting dissatisfied with it and dropping it (I've got a huge stack of these books like Countdown, Atom, Eternals, etc.) or getting the monthly and then they produce a nice HC. If it's not going to be collected or I can't wait, then I want a title that is going to have a nice enjoyable run like Captain America. Although, I just dropped DD.

Oh, check out the Spider-man Family coming out in Feb (I think) - the main story, if not the whole issue will be a tribute to Mike Weiringo.