Friday, November 23, 2007

A Fitting Tribute

Hey there all. Hope that Thanksgiving has treated you well. As you lay there in a turkey induced haze, I found something I want to share with you.



I have mentioned a couple of times about the sudden loss of Mike Wieringo earlier this year. Marvel put a very nice tribute to him in all their books with the team that he did for several issues, the Fantastic Four. Well, if you have followed his career, you know that Mike got his big break drawing the Flash for DC. This week, Flash 234 came out and while the issue was OK (I'll do some reviews later on in the weekend, promise) there was something really special in the back.


Mark Waid, the writer who has crafted some of the best Flash stories and who worked with Mike, and Brian Augustyn, the inker (I believe) during that run, put a very nice tribute to him in the book. While I wish that it would go into every DC book, it's fitting that it would be in Flash.

The added touch of putting in some of his artwork was very nice and took me back to when they were working on the book. The run they had was a defining one as far as I'm concerned. It's a rare thing to see the writer and artist work together for long periods of time and so harmonious in their direction.


Well, thats it for now. There will be reviews coming for this book, World War Hulk, and others so keep an eye out!

2 comments:

Jim said...

It was a very nice tribute.

Ron said...

Yeah, it was. Even better than the Marvel one, and I thought that was nice.