Friday, June 13, 2008

What would you do?

Hey gang. There will be reviews to come, I promise.

But first, my wife and I are dealing with some things. You should know that I grew up a "dog person". Had one since I was little and never cared for cats. While I was dating my wife she was given a couple of kittens by her family. She named one of them Spice and the other Sugar. I told her that I couldn't live in the same house as two ridiculously named cats so she changed one to Tink, short for Tinkerbell. My wife lived in a rowhouse apartment in Towson at the time and I remember coming over the first night she had them. They were tiny, meowing balls of fur. I was ignoring them when Tink climbed up on the sofa, climbed on my chest, and curled up in a ball and fell asleep. I was smitten. Tink went on to become my wife's cat, sleeping beside her and sensing things that are unspoken.

Last night, at 4 am, we had to decide to put Tink down. She was 15 years old and had become very, very sick. We were going to take her to our normal vet but decided that she was suffering too much. We were there at the end, with both of us in tears and devastated. We know that we did the right thing in ending her suffering, and we take (or will take) some comfort in know that we gave her a terrific life, full of love and happiness. But right now, we are 2 people who are mourning. We can't have kids of our own, and they had become our children. Think it's stupid? Screw you. Why does doing the right thing hurt so damn much? It's what Boo asked me last night. I told her if it was easy, everyone would do it. The truth is, I don't know why it hurts. It just does.

Rest in Peace, Tink. You will always be loved and remembered.

1 comment:

Shawn said...

Losing a member of the family, even a pet, is always something that will tug at the heart.

I'm sorry for your loss my friend.

Peace.